Sunday 31 December 2017

My favourite books of the year!


I've finally managed to put together my list of favourite books . . .  but it was a real struggle as I've read so many amazing books this year!

For that reason, there's no particular order to my list other than when I read them and no overall favourite book as that would just be too difficult. Instead, it's a list of books that I've loved and would highly recommend that you add to your TBR's if you haven't read them already!

So let's get this started and head back to January and join me on a journey through the year in books.

Woman of the Hour - Jane Lythell

Set in Storyworld, a fictitious morning television show, Liz Lyons is head of features. It's her job to keep her head when all around her are usually losing theirs! Following Liz both at work and as a single parent to daughter Flo this was a book full of drama, ego's, tension and an eye-opening look behind the scenes of the world of television.








High Force - L.J. Ross

The fifth book in the DCI Ryan Mystery series. You can read this as a stand-alone book but in my opinion it's better if you read the others first and this is a fantastic series. This book had me holding my breath on more than one occasion as I followed Ryan on the trail of his nemesis The Hacker.








Midnight's Chicken - Tom Jeffery

Set in a bookshop, this was a hugely enjoyable book to read. An aspiring novelist, a hugely successful author and a terrorist cell all come together in this funny but also thought-provoking book.









Granny With Benefits - Marilyn Bennett

A refreshingly delightful book full of laugh out loud moments cleverly combined with the reality of being single later on in life when all your friends have settled down.









The Abattoir of Dreams - Mark Tilbury

This was the first book I read by Mark Tilbury and it honestly left me speechless! Imagine waking up in hospital, paralysed from the waist down and no recollection of what happened to you. That's exactly what happens to Michael Tate and following his story took me on one of the most extreme journeys I've ever been on reading a book.







Song of the Robin - R.V. Biggs

 I was totally captivated by this debut novel about kismet, family and the strong bonds between people even when they are sadly no longer with us. This was a beautifully written and well crafted story.









Long Shot - Jack Steele

After reading Loose Cannon last year, I couldn't wait to read Long Shot. This was a hard-hitting thriller, with short punchy chapters that left me breathless!










Handcuffs, Truncheon and a Polyester Thong - Gina Kirkham

I LOVED Mavis Upton! Mum to Ella and daughter to Josie following Mavis through her rookie training to become a police officer had me literally in stitches!









Behind Her Back - Jane Lythell

The second book in the Storyworld trilogy. A fast paced novel which makes for compelling reading as Liz Lyons juggles her hectic work schedule and her home life with daughter Flo.









The Hidden Legacy - G.J. Minett

A well written, gripping thriller full of twists and turns that seamlessly hops between past and present.










Maria in the Moon - Louise Beech

A poignant novel and one of the most beautifully written books I read this year. Maria is a woman with a past. . . .if only she could remember it.










Her Last Secret - Barbara Copperthwaite

A cautionary tale of an outwardly perfect family but scratch the surface and you'll find out that everyone is hiding something.










Letters to the Pianist - S.D. Mayes

 Set in 1941 this wonderful book tells the story of Ruth Goldberg and her family as they struggle through life during the war.










A Rock 'n' Roll Lovestyle - Kiltie Jackson

A heart-warming story about  Sukie, a huge fan of The Sound of Music and Pete a world famous rock star whose paths cross in Salzburg.










The Liar's Promise - Mark Tilbury

A fast paced and gripping thriller that dragged me kicking and screaming to places that I didn't want to go. It was dark, disturbing, sick and twisted . .  and I loved every page!










Phew, so there you have it, my favourite books of the last twelve months! I hope that I've given you a few recommendations to check out. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my choices and maybe you've read some fantastic books that you would recommend to me.

As this is my last post of what has been an interesting and somewhat challenging year for me I'd just like to say a huge thank you to all of the amazing authors (not just the ones in the list above) that have got in touch this year, whether it was to review a book or to write a guest post, I've loved having you all here.

All that's left for me to say is thank you to everyone for all of your support throughout 2017 and I hope that 2018 is a good year for every single one of you!




No comments:

Post a Comment