Saturday 3 September 2016

Angel: A DCI Ryan Mystery - L.J. Ross


I couldn't wait to start reading Angel, the fourth book in the DCI Ryan series as I've absolutely loved the previous three but this one. . . blew my socks off!! I thought to myself I'll take my coffee and kindle out into the garden to read a couple of chapters and before I knew it my shoulders were burning from the sun, my coffee was cold and I was over halfway through the book.

The year is 1990 and the girls name is Grace. We only meet her briefly before she falls to her death from a roof, but she has a big impact on the story that follows.

Fast forward to the present day and a woman's body is found in a fresh grave at the local cemetery which was prepared for a different occupant. Arriving at the crime scene Ryan discovers a note by the body and it seems like the victim has been arranged to look like an angel.

Across town other members of the team have been called to investigate an elderly woman who has been found dead in her home but no foul play is suspected. When other bodies are found at different cemeteries it's clear that there's a serial killer out there, preying on redheads and Ryan and his team need to catch this killer and fast.

LJ Ross is an author who is going from strength to strength with each book she writes and picking up one of her books is like greeting an old friend. I love the effortless style of writing and the clever way that little clues and red herrings are very skillfully woven through the story so that just when you think you know who the killer is you have to rethink your whole theory. Once again the descriptions are so vivid you could almost be looking at a photograph and at one point I could almost smell the freshly turned earth.

This is another stunning book by Ms Ross and one that you can't afford to miss. After THAT ending I just hope I don't have to wait too long for book 5 as the suspense is already killing me!

With kind thanks to author LJ Ross for the review copy.



No comments:

Post a Comment