Sunday 21 February 2016

The Dead Club - Kate Rigby


The Dead Club is a contemporary tale about death and suicide and the effects it has on two families.

Marina Reed is a member of "The Dead Club", a group of sixth formers who are obsessed with death and often sit and discuss suicide and fantasise about the ways in which they would do it.

The story is told in the form of sections rather than chapters and it's in these sections that we are introduced to more characters all of which are dealing with life and the prospect of death in their own way.

The first few sections left me feeling slightly confused as I couldn't see anything to link them together but the more I read the more things started to become clearer and I was soon absorbed by the characters lives.

Don't be put off by the subject matter of this book as Kate Rigby has written an engaging story that cleverly knits together the past and present alongside the main characters without being ghoulish, there are some nice touches of humour sprinkled throughout (I loved Topsy the cat's story) and the update on the main players was a lovely touch at the end.

Kate Rigby has been writing for over thirty years and her experience shone through to me in this book. Her descriptions of the Devon coast made me want to hop on a train and see it for myself and I could almost smell the sea breeze. If you're looking for something a little different why not give The Dead Club a try.

You can find out more about Kate and her other books here.

With kind thanks to author Kate Rigby for the review copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment