Saturday 14 November 2015

Center of Gravity - Laura McNeill






Center of Gravity is one of those novels that has you literally holding your breath as you read.

Ava Carson is married to Mitchell, they have a son Sam together and Ava has just adopted Mitchell's son Jack. She should be happy that she has everything that she's ever wanted but her perfect life is about to start crumbling all around her.

Her perfect husband isn't as perfect as he seems and despite Ava's initial thoughts that Mitchell is just under a lot of stress at work and things will improve, it soon becomes obvious that this isn't the case. Mitchell has issues and they're big ones!

This is a debut novel and Laura McNeill has left a big impression on me with this book. I can honestly say I have never despised a fictional character as much as I did Mitchell. The more I read, the more I couldn't wait for his twisted mind games to backfire on him. I really felt for Ava, she's a strong women who only wants what's best for her family, especially her two young boys but the odds are really stacked against her.

Each chapter is written from a different character's perspective and this includes eight year old Jack. Seeing the story unfold through his eyes was heartbreaking. All he wants is for everyone he loves to be happy but of course that's not how thing are in a dysfunctional family.

I was genuinely impressed by this dark and disturbing debut novel. It's a compelling and sometimes difficult read and you can almost feel the tension leaping off the page towards you as you read. Add to that the short, sharp chapters, which to me just heightened the urgency within the story and you've got yourself an enthralling read.



No comments:

Post a Comment